Ad Code

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

ar 10 m&p

Ar 10 M&p - At the 2013 SHOT Show, Smith and Wesson introduced their new line of 7.62mm/308 caliber rifles, featuring full directional control, compatibility with model magazines SR-25/M110 and attractive price. At about 7 3/4 pounds unladen, the rifle (known as the M&P 10) is extremely light and handy. After a preliminary check at SHOT, I knew I had to get one and try it out for myself.

After returning from SHOT, I called my friend Chris Corino, who has been a passionate advocate for 10-8 and Law Enforcement in general since he was at Kimber. Chris is one of the Good People in the Industry, back in the day he wore a blue uniform. He pointed me in the right direction and was instrumental in exposing me to a rifle that was in high demand, especially in the midst of panic shopping.

Ar 10 M&p

Ar 10 M&p

So in a few days I picked up my brand new M&P 10. My first thought was: "Why did they do this with an 18-inch barrel instead of a 16-inch barrel?" and "What's with that ugly fan/flash compensator?" The trigger is quite acceptable for an active gun. The gas block is clumsy, ugly, and just clamped in, but it seems to work. Other than that, the gun performs well and appears to be well built.

Magpul, One Piece Reinforced Polymer Construction Color: Black Compatible With Ar 15 & Ar 10 Platforms H Series Cerakote Includes Magpul Grip Screw

Smith & Wesson has clearly thought through this rifle. In addition to being completely obscure (plus our minions brethren, ), a small touch has been added that many owners will appreciate. Four elastic pads fit into machined pockets on the upper receiver to eliminate any slack and flare between the top and bottom halves of the gun. The result is a fit that is rock solid. While this has little to do with real-world accuracy, it's important to many AR owners.

The bolt group seems to be of good quality, with solid bolts on the throttle. This is a step that some manufacturers skip, leading to less reliable weapons. The AR platform relies heavily on gas pressure, and any gas leak between the key and the carrier can lead to suboptimal operation.

I mentioned the ugly flash compensator/compensator above, and even the guys in the gun shop noticed it. So, although I should have left it on to see if it really stabilized the muzzle, the pretentious part of me prevailed and I immediately replaced the A2-style flash cage. mine. Note that I had to use some pads along with a press washer to get it properly on the shoulder. Another change I made was to replace the clamshell-style guards with a MagPul MOE tip. I ordered a black one, but a green one appeared in the box. Nothing can beat 5 minutes of quality time with Krylon tuna.

A closer look also reveals a stopper on the right side of the gun. The 18-inch barrel is longer than I would have liked but it doesn't really affect the usability of the rifle.

Bushmaster Ar 10 .308

Since the original model did not have a scope, I prepared a set of  Troy Industries to make the front and rear sights for the gun. With that, and a few drops of lubricant in the bolt case's vent, I'm ready for the race.

Since the rifle only comes with the PMAG 20LR, I brought a few spares. These lightweight, durable, and relatively inexpensive magazines (compared to the Knights Armament SR-25 factory magazine) are the ones I should be using within range. Firing excess German 7.62 NATO ammunition, the rifle operated smoothly and reliably through 80 rounds fired. The recoil is strong due to the rifle's light weight, but enough control to take subsequent shots fairly quickly.

I was able to turn the rifle into the iron sight. Next time I will bring out some glasses to check the accuracy. So far, Smith & Wesson's new M&P 10 looks like a strong contender, especially given its attractive price point.

Ar 10 M&p

Sig p365 tulster holster, sig p365 iwb holster, sig holsters p365, sig p365 sas holster, sig p365 xl holster, sig p365 hybrid holster, appendix holster sig p365, safariland holster sig p365, sig p365 belt holster, sig p365 holster, sig p365 purse holster, sig sauer p365 holster

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Recent Comments

Ad Code